Hearty Kale and Bean Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Freeze leftovers and reheat later for an instant hot meal.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 7 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added Navy beans, rinsed, drained and divided
- 1 (15oz) can no-salt-added Kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15oz) can no-salt-added Black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp freshly minced rosemary
- Heat a 6 quart sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, swirling to coat bottom of pan.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in 3 cups vegetable broth and kale.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, until kale is crisp but tender.
- Place 15 oz navy beans and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth in blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Add pureed navy beans mixture, kidney beans, black beans, black pepper and ginger to soup.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rosemary.
Serving size: 1.5 cups Calories: 302 Fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 44g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 436g Fiber: 16g Protein: 16g
1.5 Lean Protein 2 Starch 1 Vegetable