Tomato and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Garlicky Broccoli
Recipe Type: Main Course
A twist on the traditional caprese salad! A kid-friendly healthy dinner!
- Cooking spray
- 4 medium skinless and boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, drained of any excess oil, chopped
- ½ cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Coat a 8×8 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine spinach, mozzarella, chopped tomatoes, basil, 1 Tbsp vinegar, and pepper in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Create a pocket in each chicken breast by cutting a slit on one long end but not cutting through the breast entirely and using your fingers to expand the space.
- Stuff ¼ spinach and cheese mixture into each chicken breast pocket, making sure it does not spill out.
- Season chicken with additional pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sear each chicken breast 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place in prepared baking dish, making sure the slit end of each breast is facing up. Cover with foil and bake in oven at 375 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. This time may vary depending on how thick your chicken breasts are.
- While chicken is cooking, heat additional 1 Tbsp oil in the same skillet you used to sear the chicken. Toss in broccoli and garlic and sauté until broccoli is tender, but not wilted, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, sauté another minute and season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
Serving size: 4 oz chicken; 1/2 cup broccoli Calories: 432 Fat: 16g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 7g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 336mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 59g Cholesterol: 177mg
4 Protein 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat